TheHoldersRoleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated the Holders Series based roleplay.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Starbucks, Sacramento.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Edeatsyourface

Edeatsyourface

Location : The one realm that even He Himself dares not tread: the hellhole that is Phoenix, Arizona.

A Starbucks, Sacramento. Empty
PostSubject: A Starbucks, Sacramento.   A Starbucks, Sacramento. EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 12:36 am

"So?" Said the cashier, "what'll it be?"

Jimmy Fontaine's eyes darted wildly across the menu. It was no easy task picking out coffee. It wasn't that he was picky- no, he just needed to make sure he wasn't getting slipped anything. He was sure that his brain waves had been mapped into all sorts of probability matrices, able to determine where he went, what he ate, or what coffee he wanted. So he stood for a moment in thought. If he didn't, he was sure that that his choice would be predicted, his drink tainted with some foul drug. He had to defy the algorithms if he wanted to stay free.

How should he do it? He could cycle through numbers, picking different items on the menu at random. But how many iterations should he use? The algorithms could predict that. Ideally, the number of iterations would be irrational, but a moment's thought told Jimmy that that wasn't in fact possible. Which left other questions: Would prime numbers work? No, too obvious. Composites were obvious no-nos. What about numbers divisible by three? No, not quite, although perhaps onto something.

"Uh, sir? What can I get you?"

Suddenly, a flash of realization hit Jimmy. Of course! Why hadn't he thought of it before? In his head, he made random selections two hundred and ten times. It was perfect. It was divisible by two, three, five, and seven, all prime. Excellent. It took him perhaps two seconds to cycle through the random orders. He blurted out the two hundred and eleventh random choice almost instantly.

"You know, now that I think about it, I th-th-th-think I'll just have a water, actually. Water will do nicely. Do you have it in a bottle? I'd like it in a bottle. Less risk that way."

The cashier gave Jimmy a look as she reached under the counter, producing a cold bottle of water.

"One dollar, seventy- nine cents."

"Hmm... one seventy- nine, one seventy- nine..." Jimmy mumbled to himself as he dug through his wallet. His pitch and inflection began to fluctuate more and more as he spoke, but he scarcely noticed it.

"Ah!" He said, pulling out the exact change. "Thank you very much for the beverage you've provided. The dihydrogen monoxide, as it were, the good old H₂O, water, agua, voda, et cetera!"

Jimmy grinned happily as he skipped out the door, the cashier not even bothering to hide the disturbed look on her face. "Adios, goodbye, do svitania, adieu, arrivederci!" he called as he waltzed happily onto the Sacramento streets.
Back to top Go down

A Starbucks, Sacramento.
Page 1 of 1